|Limeade is popular in Southeast Asia due to the abundance of limes.Lime leaves are used as a herb in the region.|
Lemonade 's cousin is here!And she promises to be just as pleasing.A union of lime juice,sugar and water,this refreshing drink is perfect for a hot summer day.
Also good after a workout,with your whole wheat chicken sandwich or tuna and brown rice,when you need to stay hydrated,replenishing lost water.The lime juice gives a burst of Vitamin C,essential to body's immunity and I see that spoonful of sugar as instant carbohydrate.Those who are dieting can use it to kill their sugar cravings,a glassful of limeade is so much better than dessert.
Preparation Time : 5 minutes
Servings : Makes 1 liter/Serves 5
65 ml lime juice
70 gm sugar
950 ml water - chilled
2 limes - quartered
Take the lime juice in a jug,add the sugar and stir until it dissolves.Combine with chilled water.
Put a few ice cubes and 1 to 2 lime wedges each in five glasses and pour the sweet and sour limeade over.
1. Sugar can be substituted with superfine sugar if you want it to dissolve in an instant.
2. While this recipe specifies quantities for all ingredients,cooks may not have the same experience with it.This is for two reasons.First is the tartness of limes.There are several varieties of limes,and some are more or less acidic than others.Secondly,limeade is largely based on one's taste.We all seem to like different levels of sweetness and sourness.Some people do not like their limeade much sweet(While others do) - it is refreshing for them.Others may find the same limeade watery.Hence,while making limeade,the key to make it perfect is to keep tasting - and you will never go wrong!
1. Grate the rind of limes before juicing them.Lightly pound 15-20 mint leaves using a mortar and pestle.Alternately,you may muddle them with a muddler.Steep lime rind and mint in limeade and refrigerate it till serving time.At the time of serving,strain the drink into glasses over ice cubes.
2. Try using this recipe with soda water instead of water.
3. Make limeade as instructed,then add 30 ml of strawberry juice/puree to it.If using strawberry puree,strain it before use to remove any large particles.Then,serve as instructed,substituting the lime wedge garnish with halves of fresh strawberries.
This work by Fahad Khan is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.